3.30.2010

Honey Caramelized Brussels Sprouts

One of the great things about this blog being for fun and not for my job is that no one is judging me for missing my own personal deadlines. If I have a bad week and I miss it, we'll all live. The current farmers market challenge on the table is brussels sprouts. The good news is, they lasted and didn't go bad. I even picked up some more at this week's Dupont Circle Farmers Market.

I begged BLT Steak for their recipe and to my delight they complied!  I made a few tweaks, but in general, they are the first restaurant that made me love brussels sprouts, so it's gonna be pretty close. I followed the recipe, but omitted the chestnuts & parsley and used pancetta* instead of prosciutto.

BLT Steak's Honey Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
(Serves 6)

12 ounces chestnuts, roasted and peeled
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1 cup honey
1 tablespoon sugar
1 -10 ounce slice prosciutto*, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 cup parsley leaves, chopped
Full recipe after the jump...




Prepare the Chestnuts: Cut the peeled chestnuts into thin slices.

Blanch the Brussels Sprouts: Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook 5 minutes. 

Drain and transfer the sprouts to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well.


Sauté the Brussels Sprouts: In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter until it begins to foam. Add the garlic and shallots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until the shallots are tender. Add the Brussels sprouts and chestnuts. Stir until well-combined. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the honey, sugar and prosciutto. Turn up the flame to medium-high. Cook, not moving the pan, for about 2 minutes (mine took more like 4 minutes on high, but ovens are different) to allow the Brussels sprouts to caramelize and the prosciutto to crisp.



Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley.

Serve immediately.

To make a reservation at BLT Steak in DC and experience them first hand, click here.  For Chef Laurent Tourondel's cookbooks, this link will take you to Amazon to purchase his "Fresh from the Market".

*VEGETARIAN NOTE: It would be totally fine to leave out the meat and make this.

7 comments:

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

Those look awesome! I like how bright green they are.

Ali said...

Oh god yummy. I am wishing we lived near each other so I could come by for leftovers... 8)

Lauren said...

Yum! These looks delicious, might have to try this recipe out soon!

Barclay Berberian said...

Recipe looks amazing! Might try out tomorrow night...have some sprouts laying around...was going to roast them in the oven, but always like to try new things.

Would be nice to have a 'print recipe' option if it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Merry Christmas and thanks!

Sarah Michelle said...

greeting!
Food is my weakness. I love to try different ways to different recipes.I found your recipe very good and easy. And I'm going to try it, I hope it will be so easy to cook too, is watching as your page.
Regards n thanks to share such a great recipe with us.

Anonymous said...

Florida has the world best juice makers and the best chef for the honey mix dishes to make and to cook. That honey caramelized sprout for the girls of best thesis writing services company has been made with honey as in the sugar.

anonymous said...

The best part of weight loss is the sprouts people eat sprouts with honey than they lose weight in just few days. As I know about boomessays sprouts can make the man perfect and fit.