4.08.2010

Woodfire Grill: "It Was So Good, I Almost Wept"

Even the afternoon after my five course tasting meal at Woodfire Grill in Atlanta, I'm still slightly speechless and unable to convey how awesome it was to you.  First of all, I was in town for a conference, so dining alone.

Within seconds of sitting down, I spotted my neighbors pork belly & grits and asked how it was. He said: It was so good, I almost wept. I called over the bartender (Blake) and said, I'll have what he's having.

Here's a recap in pictures:

Amuse: Sweet Grass Chevre, Buttered Toast and Salsa Verde
Wine Pairing: 2009 Ferrari Carano Fume Blanc, Sonoma County

First Course: Confit of Shrimp Salad, Tart, Gremolata Aioli, Avocado Creme Fraiche & Salsa Cruda
Wine Pairing: 2007 Landmark Overlook Chardonnay, Sonoma/Santa Barbara/Monterey

Second Course: Pan Seared Diver Scallop, Sumac Roasted Hen of the Woods & Morel Mushrooms, Spiced Wine Syrup & Ras El Hanout
Wine Pairing: 2007 Jean Francois Merieau Gamay, Tauraine AOC, France

Taste: Creamy Potato & Leek Soup with Micro Radish
Wine Pairing: 2007 Saarstein Riesling, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Germany

Fourth Course: Smoked Berkshire Pork Loin and Belly, Slow Roasted Anson Mills Grits, Pickled Cabbage, Roasted Pear & Apple Relish and Espelette Honey
Wine Pairing: 2006 Domaine Schlumberger Gewurztraminer, Les Prices Abbes, Alsace AOC, France

Main Course: Wood Grilled Lamb, Confit Fingerling Potatoes, Charred Baby Vidalia Onion, Roasted Lamb Jus & Cranberry Gel
Wine Pairing: Highway 12, Serres Ranch, Sonoma Valley

Dessert: Tres Leches Banana Cake, Chocolate Mousse, Dulce de Leche, Banana Sorbet & Marcona Almonds
Wine Pairing: NV Elio Perrone, Bigaro, Moscato/Brachetto, Castiglione, Italy
My only wish was that I had taken more detailed notes on the sourcing of the ingredients. Blake and the team of food runners were always very specific about the ingredients, where they came from,  and cool stories about why they were selected.

You can book a reservation, but I just walked in a snagged a seat at the bar.  It was great crowd - my fellow bar patrons included an artist, an Indian cooking school teacher & her son, a wine dealer and a couple on a date.  If you can't eat there soon, fan them on Facebook to stay up with their latest menu items, promotions and the incredible work of Chef Kevin Gillespie.

PS. The photos don't do it justice. I tried to not use a flash to not bother the other patrons. But one asked me why I wasn't using the flash and when I said I didn't want to bother him. He replied, honey, trust me, we're all food nerds here, don't worry about it! 


No comments: