7.14.2010

Farmers Market Challenge: Chef Dan Edition! PART TWO

For a farmers market junkie like me, just GOING to Dupont Circle Farmers Market with one of the best chefs in Washington, DC would have been enough.  But Chef Dan Giusti of 1789 Restaurant piled us all back in his Jeep, loaded down with ingredients and we headed off to the kitchen.

If you read the previous post you know we picked up chickens, kale, plums, tomatoes, basil, summer savory, carrots and onions. Here's what we did with them:
Jeffrey slicing and dicing the 1789 pancetta. This will end up seasoning the chicken and vegetables.
Ashlee peeling the adorable market carrots!
Me. Yes, at this point, I had just washed them, but I also quartered them. (Photo by Alicia Griffin)
Chef Dan tied trussed the chicken, topped with the summer savory, added the potatoes and copius amounts of olive oil... and into the oven at 350 degrees.
After about 20 minutes we added the carrots and the onions and put the chicken back in the oven to finish cooking.

In the end, we had perfect roasted chicken (and even though I still don't love chicken, I'm becoming pretty good at making it!).
 
My favorite was the potatoes, onions and carrots - they were caramelized and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I'd make roasted chicken just to get these vegetables out of it!
Here was my full plate: Roasted Chicken & Vegetables, Fresh 1789 Bread, Kale (ZOMG! I never knew it could be so delicious), and Tomato Salad.

So, are you guys tired of me posting about this cooking class or... do you want me to share how we made the kale? Give you a tour of the 1789 walk in cooler? Post my pics of the plum & basil inspired dessert? Tell you how much fun it was just talking food smack and drinking wine with the guys from 1789 + old & new Twitter pals?

Disclosure: This class experience was complimentary. I won it by following @1789ChefDan on Twitter and being one of the first to tweet him back when he offered the class. Follow him and stay tuned to the latest 1789 experiences including their monthly cooking classes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!

I would love to read more posts about your class & experience!! I'm especially interested in the kale dish - I'm a huge kale fan :)

michelle said...

Looks like a great time - I'm jealous!

Tammy Gordon said...

Ok, after vacation I'll post the kale recipe. I never knew kale could be that amazing.