8.12.2010

Summer Sweet Corn, Peach & Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese

Ever have one of those days where you stare at your available ingredients and draw a blank? Today, I got home late from work and was staring at five ears of fresh summer corn, three tomatoes, four peaches and a bouquet of basil. I thought about all of the things I wished I had to make for dinner with them (Rockfish with citrus salsa & sweet corn. Bread for peach paninis. Arugula to make a big salad.)

And, I thought about take out. But I refused to let those great ingredients waste another day and go bad. After all, I started this blog to keep me honest about making at least one meal a week - one that I'd never tried and one sourced from my local farms.

I sent a #FoodieBatSignal out to my Twitter followers and got a lot of great ideas. When you crowdsource dinner, you'll rarely come up empty. I'll share their ideas after the jump, but here's what I ended up making, inspired by Shaw Girl.

Summer Sweet Corn, Peach & Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese
Makes a side dish for 4 or salad entree for 2
Ingredients

  • 2 peaches, diced
  • 1 large heirloom tomato, diced
  • 2 ears fresh sweet corn, cobbed
  • 3 basil leaves, chiffonade (cut into strips)
  • 2 tablespoons, goat cheese
  • lime
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper

Directions

  1. Combine peaches, tomato and sweet corn nibblets in a large bowl.
  2. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top.
  3. Drizzle (lightly) olive oil over the top.
  4. Add fresh ground salt and pepper, to taste.
  5. Toss all ingredients above to combine.
  6. Plate the salad in the center of your plates. Top with crumbled goat cheese and basil. Serve.
TIP: You can eat fresh corn straight from the cob. Who knew? (Shaw Girl knew.)


Keep reading for more ideas from some of Twitter's best foodies:

  • @WyldcatGirl given only those items: cut the corn off the cob, stir-fry with chopped tomatoes & basil, top with crumbled goat cheese
  • @MangoTomato saute corn with garlic (if you have it), add fresh tomatoes and goat cheese and basil. eat peaches for dessert.
  • @Shaw_GirShuck the corn from the cob and toss it with the peaches and tomato. Toss in chopped basil and top w/goat cheese!
  • @meganbirmingham how about sauteed corn and tomatoes topped with basil and goat cheese

What would you have made? I've still got three ears of corn left, two tomatoes and two peaches.

2 comments:

Shari said...

The salad sounds awesome. What is better than tomatoes, corn, peaches and goat cheese? It looks pretty, too.

Holly Keegan said...

Cooking light recently had a similar salad in their mag. My friend brought it to work yesterday and it was SO good. It didn't have corn in it, but I like the addition. This seems super fresh and uses some delish seasonal produce. Love it.