5.29.2011

Eating Local at Dino PLUS Dean Gold's Squash Blossom Recipe

When I go to a restaurant and see the menu citing locally farmed ingredients it makes my heart swoon. Last night, I got a peek at Dino's spring menu and my head about exploded! The menu has expanded and almost every order has one of my favorite local farms involved.

Great ingredients go a long way, but check out what Dean Gold did with them...

We started with a Grilled Vegetable Antipasti (asparagus, broccoli rabe, ramps and red onions) and the Squash Blossoms (stuffed with mozzarella and a touch of anchovy, then flash fried) for the table. I couldn't decide between the Soft-Shell Crabs and the Fettuccine with Asparagus... so I convinced Alejandra to split them with me (win-win!)

(Photos of our Dino Meal by Tammy Gordon)

I got all of my favorite seasonal ingredients in one meal and I didn't even have to make it myself. Now I know if I don't make it to the farmers market on the weekend, I can always pop by Dino and sample what I missed.

Wait. That could be dangerous. I'm supposed to be learning to cook with all of this stuff! Luckily, Dean shared his squash blossom recipe today at Dupont Circle Farmers Market demo... here ya go:

Dean Gold's Stuffed Squash Blossoms

1. Sliver mozzarella and anchovies into matchsticks.
2. Open each blossom, remove pistle, put in one sliver of anchovy and mozzarella. Close blossom.
3. Make batter by combining 2 cups milk, 1 egg, 3 tablespoons of flour, 1/2 cup club soda and a pinch of salt.
4. Carefully dip each blossom into the batter. Then drop in oil for deep fat frying. Fry til golden.
5. Serve with salt and fresh tomato sauce on the side.

Dino is located (way to close to my house) at 3435 Connecticut Avenue NW, right across Ordway Street from the Cleveland Park metro. Make a reservation today, sign up for their famous newsletter, or follow Dino on Facebook and Twitter to get the latest on what fresh ingredients are headed to the menu.

2 comments:

Bettina said...

I'm sorry we didn't get to meet this morning!

Dino might be my favorite restaurant in D.C., and it's where my love affair with squash blossoms started. I bought some Blue Ridge ricotta at the market to stuff mine with.

-@bettinasays

Tammy Gordon said...

Hey there Bettina! I can't believe we didn't officially meet today - definitely next time!

Dino's squash blossoms are delish. For a different twist, check out what Chef Jose Andres does with them at Oyamel. Love those too!