11.26.2011

Small Business Spotlight: Washington, DC

Today being "Small Business Saturday", I thought I'd share some of my favorite DC local shops.

Miss Pixie's Furnishings and What Not is a great second hand furniture and home wares store. The first purchase I made for my new home was four vintage diner stools for my bar. These days, I go in searching for the perfect small round, but expandable, dining table or a set of old school lockers that would be cooler storage than I could find at The Container Store. I was just in there a few days ago and they've also got a ton of vintage Christmas decorations and ornaments.
Miss Pixie's is located at 1626 14th Street NW
Photo: OoCities
Coup de Foudre isn't cheap, but ever since I started buying lingerie there (on a splurge), I don't think I've been back to Victoria's Secret. They have a well curated set of designers, including Huit, Cosabella, Hanky Panky and Simone Perele.  I've found that the fit holds the girls better for longer with these - whereas others tend to flop after just one wash. Stop by - and even if you don't want to - let them do a bra fitting. Once they informed me I was wearing the total wrong size, everything changed in the level of, ahem, support I was receiving.
Coup de Foudre is located at 1001 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Proper Topper in Dupont Circle is my go-to for gifts, but just as often I buy something for myself. The store thrives in winter with owner Anna Fuhrman's well edited selection of gloves, hats and scarves that help you brave the elements without looking like a North Face ad. Don't miss the sale rack of clothes either - there's not a huge selection, but if there's anything in your size, snag it fast!
Proper Topper is located at 1350 Connecticut Avenue NW (right at the Dupont Circle Metro South exit)
Photo: From Single to Married to Baby
If I had to pick one store to buy my clothes, it would be Urban Chic. It's not a huge place, but I can shop for work, play, vacation, date nights or just hanging out at home in their racks. Why fight traffic to Tysons when you can get the same fashion in such a cute, local store. They are my go to for Shoshanna dresses and bikinis, J Brand jeans, DVF work-to-going out dresses and more. Again, check the sale racks for fantastic details... especially when they do their jeans clearance!
I usually shop at the 1626 Wisconsin Avenue location (so that I can hit Sassanova and Sherman Pickney too), but there are other locations in Baltimore, Fairfax and Bethesda.

Hill's Kitchen has an amazing amount of adorable and functional kitchen and entertaining selection packed into it's super cute townhouse (with lessons happening up the stairs!) Whether you need pots and pans, DC cookie cutters (they have the Capitol, the Washington Monument and more), decorations for the holidays or tips on a recipe - Leah Daniels at Hill's Kitchen has you covered. (Plus, it's next to all of those fun 8th Street restaurants you've been dying to try.)
Hill's Kitchen is at 713 D Street SE next to Eastern Market Metro
Photo: InspirationDC
I found TroHv randomly. I was looking for an auto parts store... and when I found it, it was kind of in a sketchy neighborhood so I kept driving and realized I was sort of near Takoma Park. I tweeted that I'd never been to that neighborhood and the tips came rolling in. TroHv was my last stop before heading home and I fell in love with the huge open space, mixture of vintage and new home wares and furniture, plus affordable table top and gift items.
TroHv is located at 232 Carroll Street NW near Takoma Park Metro. They also have a Baltimore location.


What are your favorites? What did I miss? On my to-try list today - Foundry and Metro Mutts (for Ike).

3 comments:

mary said...

I went in Ms. Pixies yesterday. What fun! I almost bought a silver xmas tree. I think I still might go back for it.

Bethany said...

Missed your Takoma adventure, but make sure you try Big Bad Woof if you're ever back there. Amazing pet supply shop, very eco conscious. The owners are wonderful and they train their staff to a serious level on everything from good toys and food to aromatherapy for different pet behaviors. They also super love Trohv.

I may have to wander to the kitchen place on Tuesday to start the holiday shopping...

Nelle Somerville said...

Anna is wonderful at the Proper Topper. I lived at her Georgetown locations. TroHv in Baltimore is a few blocks from Stone Hill and very close to the Miracle on 34th Street if you are ever in the neighborhood.